Justice of the Peace πŸ§‘πŸΌβ€βš–οΈπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

Kia ora! I’m your friendly Christchurch Central rainbow JP.

Photo of Mark wearing a white shirt, floral blazer, black bow tie, and Justice of the Peace lapel pin.

I have a Facebook page if you’d like to follow my journey as a JP.


I can meet you near my home on Welles Street, at my workplace on Hereford Street, at TΕ«ranga (the library), or somewhere else that suits you.


Make an appointment by texting 021 0298 0873. Please tell me the reason for the appointment. I’ll confirm I can help and say what to bring.

Other options

There are several other JPs in Christchurch Central. You can find them by searching the JP website for Christchurch Central, Christchurch City, 8011, or 8013.

For name or sex marker changes and other Internal Affairs applications, you can make an appointment with Internal Affairs if you prefer. They’re in the same building as me.

What to bring

Please carefully read any checklist or instructions you have been given and ensure all paperwork is filled in correctly.

Please bring all required forms, photocopies, printouts, original documents, and ID. I don’t have a photocopier.

If you need a certified copy of an electronic document, please bring a device to show me the electronic original.

Keeping you safe πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈπŸ˜·

Transgender or non-binary? I know it’s tough asking a stranger to deal with documents that don’t reflect the real you. I promise I will always treat you with dignity, respect, and confidentiality – and honour the name and pronouns you tell me.

Trying to avoid respiratory infection? I’m happy to wear a mask if you ask in advance.


All JPs offer our services for free. We mainly certify copies, witness signatures, and take affidavits and statutory declarations.

You might come to us for:

  • a certified copy of your passport, drivers licence, or other ID
  • a certified copy of your proof of address
  • proof of your degree or other qualification
  • identity verification for a bank, credit card, or finance company
  • an immigration visa application that includes a statutory declaration – for example a partner’s resident visa
  • an affidavit your lawyer has drafted for a court or tribunal case – this could be a statement of facts or events with evidence attached
  • a divorce (dissolution of marriage)
  • a KiwiSaver withdrawal
  • changing your name or the sex marker on your birth certificate (Qtopia can provide support navigating this process in Christchurch)
  • a private citizenship ceremony approved by the Department of Internal Affairs.

You can find other JPs and learn more about our duties on the official JP website.


JPs promise to do the right thing for everyone – no special treatment, no discrimination, and always according to the law.

JPs cannot accept any form of gift, payment, or koha for our services. We are acting as a trusted, independent party for the good of the community.